Sunday, September 30, 2007

Eco-friendly guitars

While thinking about all the ways that music and artists can have an impact on the environment, I realized there was something rather obvious that I had missed: guitars. As a guitar player myself, I know that it's sometimes easy to get lost in playing music and forget that you're playing something that's a huge chunk of wood; rare and high-quality wood at that (well, I guess that depends on the quality of your guitar). I have two guitars: A Fender Stratocaster (on the right), and a DeArmond M-65 (on the left):

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

According to the Fender, their Standard Stratocasters are made with an alder body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboards (maple fretboards are also available). Maple and alder are fairly prominent North American trees, but Brazilian Rosewood is listed as an endangered species by the World Conservation Union. Consequently, guitar makers have switched from the Brazilian variety to more common varieties from India and Madagascar.

Some guitar makers are taking it upon themselves to find more environmentally-conscious ways of building fine instruments. Dave Maize makes acoustic guitars and basses from other woods that are rainforest-friendly and come from unorthodox places such as driftwood, as well as discarded woods from construction and even trees damaged by forest fires. According to his website, his instruments are being played by guitarists from such bands as U2 and Pearl Jam. I wish I could try out one of his guitars, but unfortunately they are only sold by order or from his shop in Oregon. However, you can listen to samples of his guitars and basses being played.

With all of the countless things we use wood and lumber for, guitars may seem like an insignificant portion of the total amount of trees being cut down every year, but like most things, it adds up over time. Besides, wouldn't you feel foolish singing a song about saving the environment if part of a rainforest had to be demolished to make your guitar?

NOTE: I attempted to find information about the woods used to make DeArmond guitars, but apparently the company is now defunct. Guess mine is a collector's item!

1 comment:

Johannes Roswall said...

Thanks for the post. I'm thinking about buying a semi-acoustic guitar and as I was looking around tragicly many of them seems to be made of rainforest wood. Espacilly the good guitars, I'm gonna try to find an eco-friendly now.
I'll get back to ya if I find any good links!
Cheers!
/Johannes